Custom Metal Packaging
Looking for a unique packaging solution for your product?
No problem! At Ball Specialty Metal Packaging, our business is package development. Our organization offers an industry-leading new product development team, leveraging unique strengths.
- Our development center is staffed to support your package design needs. The experienced team consists of packaging engineers, tooling engineers, equipment designers, tool & die makers, food scientists, coating specialists, metallurgists, and art & graphics professionals.
- In-house tooling development and construction services for low-cost, short lead time delivery.
- Ball Specialty maintains an existing library of tooling and equipment to reduce capital costs for your new project. The asset base includes hundreds of stamping presses and over 1,000 tool sets.
- Award-winning printing technology, including:
- the industry’s first digital printer, and
- the country’s largest offset metal decorating operation, featuring two state-of-the-art, 6-color KBA-MetalPrint METALSTAR printing lines.
- Design engineers with extensive experience in canmaking, metalforming, and molding techniques
- Experience with various substrates, including: tinplate, cold rolled steel, aluminum, stainless steel, copper, nickel, PET, PVC, PP
- Experience with industry filling processes, including: nitrogen flushing, vacuum filling, retort, aseptic filling
- Experience with ‘sustainable package design’
- Experience with military specifications, food and pharmaceutical packaging, chemical and coating packaging
Product Development Process
- Initial project meeting to discuss design criteria:
- Filled product, filling process, shelf life, product integrity requirements
- Function, special opening/dispensing requirements
- Appearance, graphics, embossing
- Opportunities to reduce total filled package cost
- Ideation process returns suitable product designs
- Initial cost to manufacture analysis
- Samples/Prototypes – 2D/2D renderings, type samples, full prototypes, mock-ups, etc.
- Product stability testing, performance testing
- Tooling Development
Case Study #1
Product: 500×114 Car Wax Can with Screwtop Dome Lid
Customer: Meguiar’s Gold Class Car Wax, Meguiar’s Cleaner Wax
Product Type: General Line/Industrial
- Developed in conjunction with Meguiar’s Inc, a leader in the surface care products market.
- Improved paste wax package design offers unique shelf presence for Meguiar’s consumer line of paste wax products.
- Patent pending dome lid design elements offer easier fulfillment for the filler and enhanced operation for the consumer.
- In January 2007, Meguiar’s Cleaner Wax and Meguiar’s Gold Class products were launched in the new packaging.
- The new production line and tooling was designed, built, and installed by the Ball Aerosol and Specialty Container plant in Baltimore, MD.
- The package is designed to keep the sponge clean and dry during distribution. After use, the consumer replaces the sponge in the dome cavity, keeping the sponge ready for the next wax application. No more lost or contaminated sponges!
- The screwtop design offers improved opening characteristics versus typical
“pry-open” or “plug style” wax cans. Upon assembly of the dome lid, a design feature on the plastic insert compresses to seal the can.
- Low cost fulfillment. (Lids/sponges/plastic inserts are pre assembled by the can manufacturer. The filler only needs to assemble the dome lid to can bottom.)
- Reduced packaging cost and improved shelf presence versus typical shrink wrapped, store display carton.
- The can bottom is distortion printed. A post repair UV Gloss varnish is applied to the can bottom.
- The domed countersink on the bottom enhances vertical stacking ability.
- Initial project meeting in April; Samples in June; Commercial production in November